Saturday 6 December 2014

Marius's bandsaw

Marius's bandsaw

Hi Matthias,I bought the bandsaw plans right back in November 2013 and finished the saw in February after about 4 weeks of building time. So far it works great and made my "life in the workshop" a lot easier. And all in all it wasn't really that expensive, cause I got lots of stuff for free:
Wood:free
Plywood:40€
Bearings and shafts: free
Motor:10€
Belt:2€ (don't know why it was so cheap)
Power switch:5€
Casters:20€
4 bandsaw blades:90€

So the saw, the cart and 4 blades for about 170€!!!



 

This is the wood that I got planed and rough cut from my grandfather for free. And after a little bit of time on the table saw, these boards gave me all the pieces that I needed for the bandsaw frame.
 


I got 6 used bearings for free and they were in a really good shape, actually 2 of them were new. I have two hole saws the right size to make the holes for the flanges, but interestingly the cheap one made a better sized hole.

My dad then made the custom shaped shafts for me out of some really tough steel. The ends of them are drilled and tapped to secure the wheels.

I made the wheels out of a sandwich of 5 layers of 6mm plywood with birch plywood in the middle. But it didn't came out the way I expected and wobbled a little bit. Maybe I'll make some new wheels from only two layers of 15mm birch plywood in the future.

 
 
 


The table top is a piece of "Siebdruck" as it's called it in Germany. It's some 18mm birch plywood with a nice shiny black veneer on the top.

 
 


I had a little bit of a problem with the motor. I wanted to use the red one. It's 1 hp and I got for 5€, but unfortunately it runs the wrong direction and could not reverse it without damaging it. So at this point I upgraded my shop with 3-phase power. I got this other 1.5 hp motor for 10€, but unfortunately it didn't work anymore. I powered it with a drill until I had a suitable motor.

A few weeks later I got a very nice and heavy 2hp slow-speed (6-pole) motor with a pulley on it, again for 10€. It works perfectly. With it only 1000 rpm I could make the pulleys nearly the same size.

The rolling stand I made for this saw is a little bit bigger than the one from the plans because my motor is so heavy the whole saw tended to tip over on a smaller stand.





 
 
I also made a adjustable circle cutting jig with different inserts...

... and big sled to cut up logs.

And all the scrap wood and left over boards from this project.
Thanks Matthias for the wonderful plans,
Marius.

See also:


More bandsaws from Germany
Alois Schmidt's
three bandsaws
Hessam Sane's
wooden bandsaw
Mario Zimmermann's
bandsaw

More reader projects on woodgears.ca

1 comment:

  1. Nice information on here, I would like to share with you all my experience trying to get a loan to expand my Clothing Business here in Malaysia. It was really hard on my business going down due to my little short time illness then when I got heal I needed a fund to set it up again for me to begin so I came across Mr Benjamin a loan consultant officer at Le_Meridian Funding Service He asked me of my business project and I told him i already owned One and i just needed loan of 200,000.00 USD he gave me form to fill and I did also he asked me of my Valid ID in few days They did the transfer and my loan was granted. I really want to appreciate there effort also try to get this to anyone looking for business loan or other financial issues to Contact Le_Meridian Funding Service On Email: lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com / lfdsloans@outlook.com He also available on WhatsApp Contact:+1-9893943740.

    ReplyDelete