Sunday 7 December 2014

Home made Drill Press


Part One

There are times when a Drill press would be very nice, even when modding flashlights. I can't afford one, but I have decided to make one. It will prove to be interesting, since I'm going to design it as I build it and see how it comes out.
dp1
The major components. Wood I already had (I can get more from work, they have lots of scrap), drill I already had, metal handle I already had. Drawer slides I bought at Home Depot - 14" Heavy Duty. No play in these slides. Springs from HD as well. Miscellaneous I should already have laying around.    So far $18 in materials I had to buy.
Here is the link to a smaller one I saw and I will be making something larger, but similar in design.
I intend to make it to my needs. I want it to be easy to put the drill in and take it out again, so no clamps. Some type of a holder where I can slide the drill in place and secure it quickly and easily. I also want to be able to sit the whole "drill press" over my small vise, so whatever I drill is held securely in the vise.  I already have it planned in my mind, so now it's off to do it a little at a time. It's already over 100 degrees heat index here. so I won't be doing much. Just a little each morning, when it's only in the 80's.Frown  Hopefully I will be able to do a video of the assembly and results.    If there's any interest that is...

It's Finished
1
2
3

In summary, all of it could be done in 3/4" plywood, except the two side pieces that hold the drill in place. I think Poplar worked good for them, as it is a hardwood and tough, but easy to drill and cut.
Overall, I think it will work for the small parts (aluminum and plastic) that I need to drill, but I don't think it's any kind of substitute for a real drill press on anything like steel plate. It will handle the easy stuff, but not the tough stuff.
It will work for me and it's a 100% improvement on drilling by hand.

That's all folks...
Hopefully, when it cools off in the winter, I will make good use of this press.

No comments:

Post a Comment